How-To Be World’s Greatest Detective

”My name is Sherlock Holmes.  It is my business to know what other people don’t know.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle created the character of Sherlock Holmes -the greatest detective of all time. If you haven’t read even one story of these adventures, you should at least read the novels: A Study in Scarlet,  The Sign of the Four, The Hound of the Baskervilles and The Valley of Fear.

The main characters in the book, Sherlock Holmes & Dr. John Watson are pretty interesting. They are deep  (well at least Sherlock is) and I enjoy how they can work together despite Sherlock being bored vigilante, drug addict and misanthrope. One other interesting character for me is also Irene Adler. She basically appears in only one of the stories and you never quite know who she is.

“I never make exceptions.  An exception disproves the rule.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Probably some of the stories might seem a bit boring but you’ll find ones that will be your favorite ones too. I think towards the end the stories got a bit more dull than the ones in the beginning. For me, it was quite long read because even if you are fast reader, the story (and Sherlock) are building up slower.

“I am an omnivorous reader with a strangely retentive memory for trifles.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Sherlock Holmes

I’d give this book 8/10

How-To Read Sherlock Holmes
1. Start by finding edition that has all of the stories. It might be painful to find all books if you want to find all the stories in separate books.
2.Depends on the amount you read but I would recommend this book for above 12 years old. Also, editions that have all of the stories are also quite lengthy, over 1000 pages. If you prefer reading ebooks,  they are all  in project Gutenberg.
3. Sherlock Holmes does not once use the sentence elementary, my dear Watson. He also doesn’t call himself a psychopath, but a highly functioning sociopath. Not in the book.
4. You will like this a lot if you enjoy mystery novels and detective stories. You might be annoyed by the fact how seemingly superior skills Sherlock Holmes has. Also if you are used to American English, then  British English might make you think of some sentences and words.
5. Look into the multiple great movie and television adaptations, you will definitely find one or two that you will enjoy watching. (Newest Sherlock series (2010-) is definitely my #1 at the moment.)
6. It’s very nice to be a fan of Sherlock Holmes,  at least there’s always enough of different adaptations. However, it’s important not to expect this book to be similar to those.

What Sherlock Holmes story is your favorite? What adaptation of a movie is your favorite one?

As this is my last post in 2014, I want to wish you all HAPPY NEW YEAR 2015! Keep writing and reading great blogs! See you next year!

Advertisements

18 thoughts on “How-To Be World’s Greatest Detective

1. bookarino says:

I’m a big fan of the BBC Sherlock adaptations even though they take a lot of liberties with the original stories. The TV series is just so visually stunning and the chemistry between the characters is marvelous.

Liked by 1 person

• Anastasia says:

They did indeed but they did it really well :) And I like how they modernized it, I think very few would be as interested of the BBC series if they weren’t. Waiting for season 4 is horrible! And there are too few episodes…

Liked by 1 person

2. kainzow says:

I like Elementary!!
    But I don’t feel like reading Sherlock Holmes’ books.When I was very young,I attempted to read it,as I thought it’d be fun,but it was not.Pretty boring,and I hadn’t even got halfway through.But that was years ago; I know I will read it with different eyes now.

And I like your pictures for this post! They’re very fitting.
    Finally,I wish you a Happy New Year!! :D
    Your enthusiasm for everything was simply great to have all year long. :)

Liked by 1 person

• Anastasia says:

I like how there’s Joan Watson in Elementary :D kind of refreshing.
      True, they are not especially action packed, I think I didn’t get even near to half when I first attempted to read this.
      Likewise! :)

3. honya says:

I remember my dad reading Doyle’s books to me when I was small–and I haven’t gotten tired of them yet! The Sherlock Holmes stories certainly are a bit slower and more old-fashioned than most mysteries you’ll read today, but I think that’s part of their appeal. That and all the oddities of Holmes himself. Have you read any of Doyle’s other books? I found his other short stories to be particularly fascinating–reminiscent of Poe’s writing–and his Professor Challenger stories are rather hilarious.

Liked by 1 person

• Anastasia says:

:) Your dad sounds very nice! My parents usually read me different fairytales…Sherlock Holmes would have been nice XD That’s true, they are not action packed. I have read The Lost World (though I did not recall that it even was Doyle’s book). Have you read all of the Professor Challenger stories? Did you read them in chronological order? Which one would you recommend for me? :)

• honya says:

The Lost World is the one that always stood out to me the most. I’ve read at least one of the others when I was younger, but it’s been a while. I’m not sure of the title. I think there are at least two others, though. I’d really recommend his Tales of Terror and Mystery, too–it’s just random short stories, but some are very interesting. And sometimes creepy. Fun, though. :)

Liked by 1 person

4. bookheathen says:

I have a book with the short stories and enjoy reading them over. It’s a while since I read any of the Holmes novels but recollect that some were unexpectedly ‘dark’. [The ‘novels’ volume belonged to my daughter and she took it with her when she moved away. Must borrow it one day!]

Liked by 1 person

5. Molly Mortensen says:

I haven’t read Sherlock Holmes in forever! I’ve never read them all, just random ones. I think my favorite was Hound of the Baskervilles or maybe that’s just the only title i remember. I did get the whole thing for Christmas a couple of years ago, but it’s so heavy! I didn’t realize he never said Elementary dear Watson! I love the BBC adaptation as well as the RDJ movies!

Happy new year!

Liked by 1 person

6. Darrick Dean says:

I could never get into Sherlock Holmes. Maybe I’ll give it another chance someday. Doyle’s The Lost World, however, is a favorite. It was one of the inspirations for all the “lost world” and “lost island” type books and films that came after.

Liked by 1 person

7. alexraphael says:

I love Sherlock Holmes, especially the short stories. One of the first quotes I can remember putting up on my site was good old Holmes himself. I think my favourite was 5 Orange Pips. Very moving. or the Red headed League. So imaginative.

Liked by 1 person