“In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien,
September 22nd is the Birthday of Bilbo and Frodo Baggins, two characters from J.R.R. Tolkien’s popular Middle Earth books (The Hobbit and Lord Of The Rings). In the books both Bilbo and Frodo were said to be born on September 22, but of different years. (And yes, of course you know it’s Shire Calendar but let’s not mind the details.) Bilbo was born in the year of 2890 and Frodo in the year of 2968 in the Third Age.
“Sorry! I don’t want any adventures, thank you. Not Today. Good morning! But please come to tea -any time you like! Why not tomorrow? Good bye!”
― J.R.R. Tolkien,
How-To Celebrate Hobbit Day
1.Go on a quest. Preferably barefoot.
2. Throw a feast! Make sure there’s good amount of food! & Before the actual feast, don’t forget to have a second breakfast (and elevenses)!
3. Visit Middle Earth! (= Read Hobbit or Lord of the Rings trilogy. Or both!)
4. Watch some movies. There’s six of them… 1171 minutes… you don’t want to know how many hours that is. You can forget about sleeping though. (Don’t worry, this week is called Tolkien Week so you’ll have plenty of time)
5. Tell rhymes.
6. Talk in Sindarin or Quenya.
7. Music. THIS. Sountracks: Lotr, Hobbit. My favorite ones are: Song of the Lonely Mountain, The Misty Mountains Cold & I See Fire.
8. Book a holiday to New Zealand! Now! & To get you in the right mood watch this and this. Isn’t Air New Zealand just wonderful?
9. The Hobbits give other Hobbits presents on their birthdays. So be nice, give your fellow Hobbits gifts.
10. Fireworks!! …Or sparklers!
Happy Hobbit Day 2016! Party on!